Stop Smart Meters

News Archive

Highett Woman Receives Electric Shock from Garden Tap

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:00 am By admin

An elderly woman, Christine McIntosh, has received an electric shock from a garden tap due to a faulty installation of a smart meter. The woman was admitted to hospital.

It was later revealed the installer had wired the new smart meter incorrectly, inadvertently swapping the active and neutral wires. In most households, the neutral wire is supposed to be bonded to earth (usually via the cold water pipes). In Christine's case, the Active wire ended up being connected to the water pipes (by way of swapped active/neutral wires at the meter), causing her to receive a shock upon contact.

Add a comment Permalink Tags: electric shock